Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) essential oil has an uplifting, floral aroma. Diffuse its balancing, peaceful, and calming aroma or apply it topically to help maintain the appearance of tender skin.
Geranium includes the naturally occurring constituents citronellol and geraniol, and is an important ingredient in many skin care products.
Geranium oil is steam-distilled from the aromatic green parts of the pelargonium, especially the leaves. The plant must be freshly cut just before the flowers open. About 300-500 kg (675-1,125 lb) of plants are needed to obtain 1 kg (21/4 lb) of geranium essential oil so it is quite expensive (though not as much so as rose).
Ideas for using it:
- Its sweet, friendly scent can dilute feelings of aggression, anger, and irrationality, while promoting harmony and equilibrium
- It enhances one’s sense of humor and encourages mutual understanding
- Geranium’s exotic floral-spicy aroma also works as a powerful aphrodisiac, enhancing sensuality and intimacy
- For instant relief from depression, anxiety, exhaustion or moodiness, add 5 drops each of Geranium and Bergamot oil to your bath water. This mixture is also great for PMS
- For a restorative, balancing massage, combine 2 drops each of Geranium, Lavender and Rose essential oil with 1 tablespoon of carrier oil.