Copaiba (Copaifera officinalis) is an essential oil extracted from the oleoresin of the Copaiba trees in Brazil. Copaiba was used extensively in traditional medicine by indigenous people – they regard it as a very potent anti-inflammatory. The oil contains high amounts of beta-caryophyllene (over 50%) – this can explain why it was used for such a long time with good effects. Several biological activities are attributed to beta-caryophyllene, such as anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, antioxidant, anticarcinogenic and local anaesthetic activities (source).
Unlike most essential oils, Copaiba oil is not extracted directly from the plant material. Instead, the sap of the tree is harvested through a pipe drilled directly into the tree (similar to how maple syrup is obtained). The sap, or oleoresin, is then steam-distilled to obtain the essential oil.
Copaiba is relaxing, soothing and stimulating. It boasts a rich history of providing relief from joint and stomach discomfort. Native healers traditionally used Copaiba’s topical benefits to reduce skin irritations and soothe insect bites.
- astringent effect – it tightens the skin, making it look younger, reduces the appearance of wrinkles and protects the skin
- it nurtures and heals the skin, speeding up healing from wounds, reducing scaring, can eliminate the appearance of pimples and marks
- it can loosen muscles and reduce tension – it is also the key ingredient in the Deep Relief essential oils blend. It can also ease the discomfort caused by headaches
- it can promote the proper functioning of the respiratory system – when inhaled, it can ease discomfort and loosen the tense muscles causing the irritation
Ideas for using it:
- diffuse when you feel the need for an energy boost or you feel stressed
- apply on wrists, feet, back of the neck when you feel tensed
- you can make your own pain relieving blends using Copaiba, Peppermint, Wintergreen or directly the PanAway blend